I bought some tilapia (fish) filets at the store this week since I’d been at the beach and had been craving seafood. If you’re curious what a tilapia is, you can check out the wikipedia here.
I decided I wanted to bread and then oven cook the seafood. I also bought some cornbread mix since I thought I was either going to try and make hush puppies or some cornbread.
Because the cornbread said it would take longer to cook, I made it first.
I made the cornbread using a mix and simply following the instructions on the back of the box. However, I wanted to add something to it – I decided on using some frozen peppers and onions that I had in the freezer. I defrosted the onions and peppers, chopped them up as small as I could and put them in the cornbread mixture and stirred it up.
I poured all of this into a round pan and then put this all in the preheated oven at 425 as described on the box.
Once the seafood was defrosted (for this, I put it in a bag and sat the bag in warm water as the packaging suggested), I used a classic breading technique.
1) took some bread crumbs that I had left over from the meatlof making, putting a large portion of those out on a plate.
2) put a large portion of salt and pepper also on the plate with the breadcrumbs and mixed this all together.
3) cracked and egg and stirred it up on another small plate
4) dipped the fish in the egg plate on both sides
5) put the fish in the breadcrumb mixture on both sides and pressed down until fish was covered in breadcrumbs
I then put the fish in the oil-greased pan and then put this is the oven with the cornbread.
I then defrosted some frozen spinach.
The key with fish is that you don’t let it overcook, so when it had been about 10 minutes, I took the fish out of the oven. This was how much time they suggested for oven cooking on the tilapia package (8-10 mins) and the fish appeared to be done.
I place the spinach on the plate in the shape of the fish and cut the cornbread into 6 slices, then I placed one piece of the fish on the spinach. This dinner turned out really well and also looked great.